Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Traditional Afghan Food- Qabuli Palow



Qabuli Palow is the national dish of Afghanistan and is very popular in the Middle East. Although there are many different kinds of Palow, the Afghan version is known to be the most rich and fulfilling. Qabuli Palow is basically a combination of rice, lamb meat, carrots, raisins and nuts. Traditionally Afghans cook this rice with large pieces of lamb, but it is equally delicious when it's made with beef. There is even a vegetarian version of this Palow for those who are vegetarian. Qabuli Palow makes a perfect meal for every occasion. Afghans usually cook this delicious meal during special occasions such as birthdays, weddings and other parties. I personally love this Palow, it’s my favorite. As I am writing about it, I can smell the Palow and it’s making me hungry. If you want to try this delicious food, you should go to De Afghanan restaurant, located in Fremont, CA. They make the tastiest Qabuli Palow ever. I’m sure, once you go there, you’ll get addicted.

















3 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! I've never tried an Afghan dish before, but from what I can tell from the pictures it seems similar to other types of Middle Eastern food. One of my favorite Persian dishes is jeweled rice and Qabuli Palow looks a lot like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post made even better when you told me where I can get this kind of rice. I was reading thinking, "Damn, this rice looks good." and was glad to see you plug the restaurant. Your passion for your culture is easily detected in your writing which makes it an enjoyable read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this post because you integrate your culture so well into the overall blog. I could also relate to it very well because it reminded me of fried rice in the Asian culture. I enjoyed seeing actual pictures of it too because as I was reading it, I was imagining the smells and texture of the food as you described it.

    -Gayle

    ReplyDelete