Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Middle Eastern -Guests n Food



Middle Eastern people love to serve their guests several different kinds of food. Guests are always welcomed in families at any time with or without a notice in advance. If a guest comes to someone's house without a prior notice, the host tries their best to cook the best food possible without showing any disrespect to the guest. However, if the guest informs the host in advance, the host prepares different types of meal to please and impress their guest. I’ve noticed in other cultures particularly in western culture, unexpected guests might be seen as rude or as inappropriate but not in Middle Eastern culture. Guests are always welcomed in families and well served. Serving no food for the guests is very uncommon and considered rude. Whenever we have guests over, my mother makes the most delicious Afghan meals and serves her guests with respect. Two of my favorite Afghan meals are Qabuli Palow (rice) and Bolani (appetizer).

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shewa,

    Coming from a Middle Eastern family, I completely agree with you. When I first moved to the U.S when I was young, it was a complete culture shock how different guests are treated here vs. The Middle East.

    I love cultures where food and company is at the center of the tradition.
    The more the merrier" is a lot more inviting than "please RSVP or you can't come in."

    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shewa,

    Your word usage is very descriptive. I love the aesthetics to your background of this blog. I definitely got a feeling of being there eating at an actual Middle Eastern restaurant. The times that I have eaten their food, everyone was very welcoming. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete